Saturday, April 5

Jay Leno Apologizes to Ryan for asking to make a "Gay Face"

I was outraged when Jay Leno asked guest Ryan Phillipe to make a 'gay face' on his show The Tonight Show a few weeks ago and now he apologizes. Takes a big man. "In talking about Ryan's first role, I realize that what I said came out wrong. I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize," to said to People Magazine. AfterElton.com would have rather him do the apology to his own show and not a magazine. His actual quote was this: "can you give me – say that camera is your gay lover – can you give me your ‘gayest look’? Say that camera is Billy Bob – Billy Bob has just ridden in shirtless from Wyoming." GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano said: "We are proud of Ryan for refusing to participate in Leno's thoughtless attempt at humor. "Under the guise of comedy, the talk-show host is demonstrating a lack of respect for the gay community and insensitivity to both his co-workers and the audience, to whom he owes an apology."

Related: Ryan Phillipe Sweats on Jay Leno Show