Tuesday, September 25

Making too much of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's comments?

Everyone is making a fuss of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's visit to Colombia University. Tensions were high, with protesters outside and that was to be expected. I like Lee Bollinger's speech but I think he should have said it afterwards. I am not agreeing with the president but I think if they were hosts and he was their guest, they should have been a bit courteous. I am mean we are in war time. I think part of the reason everyone is so antagonizing is because we feel outraged by everything that is going around. I am angry too. And about Mahmoud's funny comment about no homosexuals in his country... he may not know about them. The translator said 'homosexuals like you have here,' maybe they have super homos? lol I digress. My dad says that maybe they are dead. That's the sad part. Clearly, he is not aware of them. There are either people in the closet that will take their secret to their grave or those that have been found out or people they think were gay, were killed. Well, it could have been worse, I'm glad nothing dangerous happened.

Herald Sun
JTA article
The Jerusalem Post